28 September 2011

We only lost one person in the rainforest

After another sea day (backgammon, bingo, and blackjack), we finally reached Costa Rica! I've been wanting to go there for quite some time, so I was particularly excited. Then I saw the size of the bus. Remember the bus from Guatemala? Well, this one managed to have even smaller seats. I had to turn sideways and duck down to get through the aisle. And somehow, it was more comfortable than the Guatemalan bus. Go figure.

Upon our arrival, we were immediately attacked by strange bugs. Thankfully, the one person who remembered bug spray was willing to share, or there might have been a riot.

Here's a question: should people who are afraid of heights go zip lining? I'd say no, but clearly that thought never crossed the mind of half our group. A few even started freaking out just climbing up to the first observation platform. 

I was the last to climb up to the first platform and zip across. By the time I arrived, backwards I might add, there were seven or eight people hugging the tree for dear life.

Granted, the platforms were all of eighteen inches wide, but we were all clipped in. Also, I had to wait until I was firmly on the ground to take that picture, since Matt refused to take his gloves off and get the camera out of my CamelBak while we were up there.

The employee on the right in the picture below, Oscar, was always the last to go.

Once he landed on the platform, the employee already there would move on and he'd hook the remaining explorers onto the lines. His English vocabulary was limited to giving zip line instructions, but I managed to have a semi-decent conversation with him in Spanish! Matt may have helped me a bit, and Oscar may have limited himself to words I was likely to know, but it still counts.

There were over twenty people in our group, so we were already running almost an hour behind schedule when everyone was safely on the ground. We were herded back into the bus almost immediately, where it was discovered that someone was missing. After recounting us twice, the tour leader got on his radio to see if anyone knew where the missing guy was. None of the other employees knew, so he was declared to have been eaten by tigers and we headed off. There were two other tour groups from our ship after ours, so if he wasn't eaten, he could ride back with them.

As I mentioned before, we were already running behind schedule. Just to make things worse, there was some sort of parade going on. 

We spent a good fifteen minutes behind a sea of people walking the street until the driver passed them. Over a double yellow line. Going up hill. With oncoming traffic. But we survived!

That was nothing compared to the u-turn the driver made when we finally arrived at the pier. He drove all the way down to the ship, at which point the pier is approximately twenty-five feet wide. The ends of the bus were definitely hanging off the edges. One of the old ladies who experienced heart palpitations from the heights actually cried out. But once again, we survived!

What happened to the missing guy? I'll let you know as soon as we find out. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how did Oscar manage to shoehorn "con queso" and "sin cebolla" into the conversation?